Monday, January 9, 2012

Non so più cosa son by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Lyric Translation

Non so più cosa son, cosa faccio;
I don't know anymore what I am, what I'm doing;

or di foco, ora sono di ghiaccio.
now I'm made of fire, now of ice.

Ogni donna cangiar di colore,
     ongi donna cangiar mi fa palpitar.
Every woman makes me change color;
    every woman makes me tremble.

Solo ai nomi d'amore, di diletto,
At merely the words "love," "pleasure,"

mi si turba, mi s'altera il petto,
my breast becomes nervous and upset

e a parlare mi sforza d'amore un desio,
    un desio ch'io non posso spiegar.
and a desire for love--a desire that I
    can't explain--forces me to talk.

Parlo d'amore vegliando,
I talk about love when I am awake.

parlo d'amore songnando,
I talk about love when I am dreaming,

all'acqua, all'ombra, ai monti,
to the water, to the shadow, to the mountains,

ai fiori, all'erbe, ai fonti,
to the flowers, to the grass, to the fountains,

all'eco, all'aria, ai venti,
to the echo, to the air, to the winds,

che il suon de' vani accenti
    portano via con se.
which carry away with them the sound of
    my futile words.

E se non ho chi m'oda,
And if I don't have someone to hear me,

parlo d'amore con me.
I talk about love to myself

Character Study:
I. Before
1.  The events that have occurred prior to this song that have led me to this point are that I, Cherubino, have just been caught in the arms of Barbarina by the Count Almaviva who has threatened to banish me from the castle.
2.  My thoughts and feelings just before the song begins are passion and desire.
II.  During
1.  I am Cherubino.
2.  I am a fourteen year old boy who is the page to the Count Almaviva.  I am obsessed with love and women.  I am also a wonderful singer and song writer.
3.  The Count Almaviva, Barbarina, and Susanna are the other characters involved.
4.  The Count Almaviva is a philandering husband who tries to seduce Figaro's fiance Susanna.  Barbarina is Susanna's cousin and the gardener Antonio's daughter.  Susanna is the Countess Rosina's Chamber maid and Figaro's fiance.
5.  I am in Susanna's new room.
6.  I am speaking to Susanna.
7.  Yes, this person is present with me now.
8.  My present concern is that I am in a love affair with love and set a blaze with passion by any and every woman I come across.
9.  My thoughts and feelings throughout this song are full of teenage angst, unbearable amounts of passion, and lust.
10.  This Opera is set in 17th Century Seville.
III. After
1.  My thoughts and feelings as the song ends are that I am worried about my future punishment from the Count.  I am hoping that Susanna will be able to help me elude his plans.
2.  The events that will occur as a result of this song are that the Count will come into Susanna's chambers and try to seduce her. I will hide behind a chair just in time to escape him.

No comments:

Post a Comment