Tuesday, January 10, 2012

O del mio dolce ardor by Christoph Willibald von Gluck

Lyrics Translation:

O del mio dolce ardor bramato oggetto,
O thou beloved, whom long my heart desireth

    bramato oggetto,
    my heart desireth,

L'aura che tu respiri,
At length the air thou breathest

    alfin respiro,
    my soul inspireth,

Ovunque il guardo io giro.
Where'er mine eye may wander.

Le tue vaghe sembianze Amore in medipinge:
Still of thee some vague semblance Doth Love awake within me.

Il mio pensier si finge
My every thought doth win me

  Le più liete speranze;
  To yet fonder remembrance;

  E nel desio che così m'empie il petto
  And in this ardor that all my bosom so fireth

Cerco te, chiamo te, spero e sospiro.
Thee I seek, Thee I call, Fondly and e'er fonder.


Ah! O del mio dolce ardor bramato oggetto,
Ah! O thou beloved, whom long my heart desireth,

  bramato oggetto,
  my heart desireth,

L'aura che tu respiri,
At length the air thou breathest,


al fin respiro,
my soul inspireth,


alfin, alfin respiro.
my soul, my soul inspireth.


Character Study:
I.  Before
  1.  The events that have occurred prior to this song that have led me to this point are that I have just met and fallen in love with Queen Helen of Sparta.
  2.  My thoughts and feelings just before the song begins are that I am full of love and passion and determination to win the love of Lady Helen.
II.  During
  1.  I am Paris, Prince of Troy and son of King Priam.
  2.  I am a brave, handsome, and talented young Prince.
  3.  Helen of Sparta is involved.
  4.  Helen is the most beautiful woman on earth. She is also a smart young Queen.
  5.  I am at Helen's Palace in Sparta.  The Spartans are having an athletic competition and Queen Helen has called on me to judge it.
  6.  I am singing to Queen Helen.
  7.  Yes, Helen is present for the song.
  8.  I am saying this because Helen has asked me to sing a song for her.  I want this song to impress her and win her love.
  9.  My thoughts and feelings throughout this song are that I am so in love with Queen Helen.  She is the most beautiful woman in the world and everything about her inspires me.  I am filled with passion and desire by her every breath.
  10.  Other factors that have bearing on this situation is that Helen is already married.  Out lives and our provinces are in danger of war.  This Opera is set in the 10th century B.C.
III.  After
  1.  My thoughts and feelings as the song ends is that of despair because Helen has sent me away.  I begin to plead for her to reconsider and to accept my love.
  2.  The events that will occur as a result of this song is that Helen will dismiss me after she hears the song because she has discovered the true intentions of my visit.  After I have pleaded with her, she begins to reconsider her decision and falls in love with him.

1 comment:

  1. This is the song for my recital tomorrow. The character study you made is helping me to experience fully the song! Really helping me for my recital preparation. :)

    ReplyDelete