Monday, September 5, 2011

Ave Maria by Franz Abt

Lyrics and Translation:

Ave Maria gratia plena, Dominus tecum benedicta tu in mulieribus,
O lord most holy O god most mighty, O loving savior thee would we be praising with joyful lips:

Et benedictus, benedictus fructus ventris tui Jesus.
For thou hast redeemed us, Thou hast redeemed us, by they grace and mercy.

Sancta Maria, mater Dei ora pronobis, Pronobis peccatoribus: Ora pronobis,
Teach us to know thee, teach us to love thee, make us to follow, to follow after holiness: So in temptation

Nunc et in hora mortis ora, ora pronobis Sancta Maria, ora pronobis
And in the hour of sadness we shall find comfort and help.  Guide us O Savior loving Savior,

Nunc et in hora mortis, nunc et in hora mortis. Amen. Amen.
So in the hour of sadness, we shall find comfort and help in thee. Amen. Amen.

Character Study:

I.  Before
1.)  The events that have occurred prior to this song that have led me to this point are perhaps a coming of age or a new committment.
2.)  My thoughts and feelings just before the song begins are humbleness, and meekness.  I am lowering myself before I come to God.

II.  During
1 and 2.)  I am a young person who has a close relationship with God.  The lyrics do not specify my gender, so I could be male or female.  I could also be from any social economic class because the lyrics are a simple prayer and do not reveal much about my traits or personality.
3.)  N/A
4.)  N/A
5.)  I am in a church.
6.)  I am speaking to god.
7.)  Yes, God is present with me.
8.)  I am praying to God because I want to praise him for the redemption of man, his grace, and his mercy.  I want to thank him for his love.  I have also come before him to ask him to guide me and show me his ways.  I want to know him, love him, and follow him closer.
9.)  My thoughts and feelings throughout this song are joy and wonder for Gods beauty and grace.  I also have a certain amount of fear and respect for whom I am beseeching.  I want to be closer to God.
10.)  N/A

III.  After
1.)  As the song ends, I am filled with peace and joy after my time talking with God.
2.)  The events that will occur as a result of this song are that I will be a more at peace person and continue to follow God.

1 comment:

  1. If the translation you are presenting under the Latin is supposed to be a translation, it is terribly incorrect and has no relevance to the Latin. It is the Hail Mary, period.

    Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum
    Hail Mary full of grace, the Lord is with you.
    benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus
    blessed are you among women, and blessed,
    benedictus fructus ventris tui Jesu
    blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

    Sancta Maria, mater Dei ora pronobis
    Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners
    Nunc et in hora mortis
    now and at the hour of our death

    ReplyDelete